Stacy L. Kelly
Stacy L. Kelly, J.D., Partner, received her J.D. from South Texas College of Law and her B.S. in Organizational Communications from the University of Texas at Austin. Ms. Kelly is a private wealth services attorney in The Blum Firm’s Houston office. She represents applicants and contestants in guardianship proceedings, representing personal representatives, trustees, beneficiaries, and guardians in matters relating to the administration of estates, trusts, and guardianships. Her extensive experience includes will contests, will and trust interpretation issues, accounting and administration issues, prosecution and defense of various fiduciary claims, and representation of creditors in probate and trust proceedings. Ms. Kelly is a certified attorney ad litem and guardian ad litem for the probate courts.
Through over twenty years as an estate litigator, Ms. Kelly has gained a full understanding of the complicated issues that can surround estate litigation and has handled several high-profile estate contests. With an intimate knowledge of the Texas probate court system, Ms. Kelly has represented parties in a broad range of litigated estate matters, such as heirship proceedings, contested accountings, disputes over business succession, gifts, competency and undue influence concerns in probate contests, simultaneous death issues, and a spousal right of election.
In addition, Ms. Kelly handles matters involving breach of contract, suits to quiet title, Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Consumer Protection Act (DTPA) matters, fraud, adverse possession, personal injury, and over 15 appeals. She has argued before many Texas Courts of Appeal and was lead counsel before the U.S. Supreme Court in Kennedy v. Plan Adm’r for DuPont Sav. And Inv. Plan, 555 U.S. 285, 129 S. Ct. 865 (2009).
Ms. Kelly continues to be a frequent author and speaker for various state and local professional organizations.
Prior to joining The Blum Firm, Ms. Kelly was Senior Counsel with Holland & Knight LLP.
Education & Accreditations
- South Texas College of Law (1998)
- Top 16
- Best Team, Leroy Jeffers Memorial Moot Court Competition
- Member of Phi Delta Phi
- The University of Texas (1988)
- Bachelor of Science in Organizational Communications
- State Bar of Texas
- Washington State Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar
Professional Memberships & Designations
- Houston Bar Association – Litigation Section
- State Bar of Texas – Litigation Section; Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section; Appellate Law Section; Animal Law Section
- American Bar Association – Litigation Section; Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section; Animal Law Section
- United States Supreme Court
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Texas Eastern District Court
- Texas Northern District Court
- Texas Southern District/Bankruptcy Court